KINGSTON, Jamaica: The JMEA recognizes that in the wake of the dramatic spike in positive COVID-19 cases and the higher positivity rate; there is a clear and present danger that the public health system could shortly be overwhelmed. With this escalating situation, the JMEA accepts that urgent measures are necessary, and we are recommending the following:
- Widescale testing by incorporating private sector facilities in the process.
- Implement a protocol that would require negative PCR test no longer than 72 hours before
- arrival for ALL travelers. Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW) to determine what variants of
the virus are circulating in Jamaica as we move to the vaccination phase.
- Greater emphasis on compliance with the MOHW protocols.
- Greater and more equitable enforcement measures.
With regards to the longer curfew hours, the reduction in available hours for commerce will have a negative impact on the economy and could also have the unintended consequence of creating ‘riskier’ behavior by consumers as they will have less time to transact their business.
Ultimately, the fight against COVID requires all of us, as Jamaicans to step up and take greater personal responsibility as we fight for our economic and physical life. We have no choice; we will have to work together to overcome this pandemic.